|Newly restored Ridgeley Rosenwald School|
Prince George's County Maryland is rich in history and has historic preservation partners and friends in depth. Working with each other and with local and state agencies these county organizations provide the political will and the support-in-kind necessary to preserve the past to learn about tomorrow.
We have a richer community and a better quality of life when we can touch the past. The county historic preservation groups enable all of us to learn more about ourselves for who we are is inextricably rooted in who we were and where we may be going.
|Riverside Field / Columbia Air Center / Croom Field|
Occasionally historic preservation is perceived as an inconvenience to development. In truth, however, historic preservation, when included in broad economic development plans and execution, becomes a benefit to the entire community as part of an integrated approach to economic progress.
Historic preservation is a tool of education for those who live here as well as those who visit. Historic places and structures are living extensions of libraries and learning. They provide a context for important conversations and debates. Historic preservation is not anti-economic-development; it is pro-community-development.
- Prince George's African American Museum & Cultural Center "Our mission is to celebrate and inspire the Community through the cultivation, preservation, and presentation of the cultural and artistic contributions of African Americans in Prince George’s County, Maryland. As the heart of the Gateway Arts District, we believe that we have an obligation to the community to promote collaboration, engage unlikely allies in dialogue and encourage participation in the creative process. We value our role as a ‘town square’ where dreams can grow and ideas ripen, where everyone’s voice can be heard, and where we learn from each other. Only in this way will we create true bonds between our institution and our public." http://www.pgaamcc.org/
- Prince George's Heritage "Our goal is to assist residents and officials within Prince George's County to highlight the challenges facing our community to preserve our shared heritage. Prince George's Heritage, Inc. is the official advisory organization of the Maryland Historical Trust in Prince George's County. Its grants program supports preservation, education, and restoration projects." http://www.pgheritage.org/
- Prince George's County, Maryland Chapter of AAHGS [Afro-American Historical and Genealogical Society] Our objectives are to promote Black History in Prince George's County, to encourage the historical and genealogical studies of African Americans currently residing in the county, and to support the goals and objectives of our national society. To reach these objectives, AAHGS-PGCM conducts activities such as: workshops, speaker forums, discussion groups, onsite research, speakers bureau, exhibits, and networking. AAHGS was organized in July 1994 and chartered 28 April 1995 as a non-profit volunteer organization." http://pgcm.aahgs.org/
- Prince Georges County Historical Society Our mission is one of preserving and promoting the County's long and diverse history through: Reproducing new and out-of-print historical materials; Collecting records, documents, photographs, and artifacts reflecting the County's social, economic and political history; Operating the Frederick S. DeMarr Library of County History; Providing educational opportunities through lectures, programs and tours; Recognizing and supporting individuals and organizations that are making significant contributions to the preservation of the County’s rich multi-ethnic, multi-cultural heritage. Founded in l952, the Society is an all-volunteer, non-profit organization." http://www.pghistory.org/
- African American Heritage Preservation Group "A preservation advocacy organization that promotes the preservation of the heritage of African Americans in Prince George’s County, Maryland." http://www.facebook.com/pages/African-American-Heritage-Preservation-Group/10150156704560125
- Prince George’s County Historical and Cultural Trust "Is a county-chartered, independent non-profit organization whose mission is to foster a sustainable and diverse community through advocacy and education by engaging our civic and government leaders in a collaborative process that empowers the residents of Prince George’s County to explore and preserve our cultural heritage.´ http://pgchct.blogspot.com/