image from: Color, Caste, and Class in Martinque: Then and…? July 21, 2011 by
20. For preventing and concealing of Capital Crimes committed by Slaves, and the conveying them away from Justice by their Owners: Where any Negro or Mulatto Slave, or Mulatto born of a White Woman, during the Time of Servitude by Law, or Indian Slave, shall be capitally Convicted, the Court shall immediately value such Negro, &c. And Three Fourths of such Value shall be paid to the Owner out of the Public Levy. Ibid. §. 4. (But see below, Art. 42, 45and 48; whereby the full Value shall be paid to the Owner.
21. To prevent Charges to the Owners of Slaves, by Trials in the County Courts, any Slave charged
with Pilfering or Stealing, may be brought before a single Magistrate; who, on Proof thereof, may award
such Punishment by Whipping, according to the Nature of the Crime, as he shall think fit, not exceeding Forty Lashes. Ibid. §. 6.
22. For preventing the tumultuous Meetings, &c. of Slaves, the several County Courts are required,
yearly, in November Court, to appoint the Constable of every Hundred, where they think it expedient, to suppress the tumultuous Assembling of Slaves. 1723, ch. 15, §. 2.
23. Every Constable, so appointed, shall repair once a Month, to all suspected places within his Hundred; and, if he find any Slaves, (except such as belong to the Owner of the Place) without a Licence under their Owner's or Overseer's Hand, shall Whip every such Negro on the bare Back, at his Discretion, not exceeding Thirty-nine Stripes. Ibid.
24. For enabling the Constable to put this Act in Execution, he may require as many Persons as may be necessary, to repair with him to such Places: Every Person so required, and refusing, shall forfeit 100 lb Tobacco; and all White Persons present shall aid such Constable, on Penalty of 100 lb Tobacco: One Half to the County, the other Half to the Informer. Ibid.§. 3.
Bacon's Laws of Maryland . Vol 75 page 690. Maryland Archiveshttp://aomol.net/megafile/msa/speccol/sc2900/sc2908/000001/000075/pdf/am75--690.pdf